Tis’ the season to get into the holiday spirit! We are RACKing up Random Acts of Christmas Kindness this season, and we would love for you to join us! We are spreading the joy of the holidays by performing a Random Act of Christmas Kindness each day throughout December. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the true reason for the season… family, togetherness, community, and giving!
The best part of participating in even the smallest act of kindness and/or giving is that generosity and kindness are contagious!
Goodness spurs goodness: A single act can influence dozens more.
Please join us for our 8th Annual RACK! We are showering the Baton Rouge community with Christmas Kindness all month long!
RACK – Random Acts of Christmas Kindness
What is RACK, and how does it work?
It’s a way to infuse holiday spirit in others by performing a Random Act of Christmas Kindness throughout December! Many do a RACK a day for 25 days leading up to Christmas, an advent of sorts. However, we are asking you to join us in doing what you can, when you can, however big, however small. Be creative and lead with your heart! Most importantly, get the whole family involved!
We have created printable RACK cards in different sizes; print and attach them to your RACK. Although there are many ways to offer a RACK, we have put together an extensive list of ideas and a calendar if you want to follow a list of acts.
RACK – Random Acts of Christmas Kindness Ideas:
- Rake the yard of a neighbor who can’t rake it themselves.
- Bless your garbage collectors with a treat or small gift card for lunch.
- Have your children make the mailman or lady a Thank You card or poster with treats taped to it.
- Tape coins on vending machines for snacks or sodas. The hospital would be an excellent place for this!
- Tape single dollars to items at the dollar store. (plus a dime for tax)
- RACK a Red Box by leaving a dollar or two and some popcorn or a candy cane.
- Donate items to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank
- Pack toiletry or snack bags for Volunteers of America Greater Baton Rouge homeless shelters.
- Donate a coat to Pat’s Coats for Kids.
- Bake treats and take them to the police station or fire station with thank you cards for their service.
- Take a break from texting and mail an actual handwritten letter or card to someone you love.
- Send letters or gifts to an assisted living home. Coordinate with your local nursing or retirement home first.
- Take Get Well balloons or flowers to the hospital and leave them with a nurse for someone who is alone.
- Fill a Good Samaritans Christmas Box
- Tape quarters to laundromat machines.
- Leave a basket of Christmas gifts on the doorstep of a family in need.
- Leave a $5 bill on the pump at a gas station.
- Bring treats to your local urgent care office on Christmas Eve.
- Cook a meal and deliver it to someone who could use a meal. Someone who is sick, a new family in the neighborhood or at church, a new mom.
- Take a person who’s working on Christmas Eve something special.
- Drop off books to give to patients at the OLOL Children’s Hospital.
- Drop off a coffee and a treat to a busy mom.
- Bring a gift to Santa.
- ‘Ding dong ditch’ your neighbors with fresh-baked goods.
- Before paying at the grocery store, buy a gift card, and then turn around and hand it to the person behind you or to the cashier.
- Leave an extra big tip at a restaurant.
- Donate to the local animal shelter. Contact a local animal shelter to find out what they need. (food, blankets, towels, and food bowls, etc.)
- Put something you no longer need on Craigslist’s FREE section.
- Fill purses you no longer use with toiletries and fun items for men and donate to your local women’s shelter.
- Foster a dog for the local animal shelter.
Rack Tag printables…
A RACK Advent calendar can be found here.
More cards and tags can be found here.
It’s our responsibility to discuss gratefulness, generosity, unselfishness and service not just during the holidays but year-round. We are our children’s greatest role models — we should start early to mold our children’s perspectives on the holiday season. May we create such treasured memories of family time and togetherness, and the joy of giving, that our children will hold on to these memories for a lifetime and pass them on to their children.
We wish each of you a blessed Christmas Season full of RACK!